No. 306, May/June 2022
Our cover story this issue discusses the wide-ranging legacy of bass icon Ron Carter as he celebrates his 85th birthday by playing at his own Carnegie Hall tribute concert. His story is of hard work, innovation, and undeniable musical excellence. An accomplished recording artist, Carter says his approach has remained the same throughout his career: “I do what I’ve always done—I’ve left my ego at home and brought an extra pair of ears.” In this issue, you’ll also find the Contemporary Instruments & Bows special section, featuring Lindsey Stirling talking about her unique collaboration with Yamaha, a discussion of the state of pernambuco, and the inspiration behind a new exhibit celebrating women luthiers.
Also in this issue:
- Tracy Silverman tackles Roberto Sierra’s new violin concerto
- Bang on a Can’s new-music community
- The effect of a conductor’s string-playing background
- Meadowmount School gets a new artistic director
- The role of musical context in viola scale work
And more . . .